Skip to main content

Frequently asked questions about Americans Indians and the American Indian Center


Where is the American Indian Center located?

The AIC is located at 205 Wilson Street, Chapel Hill, NC 27516 on the campus of UNC.  Directions and Parking Information

Does the American Indian Center have an exhibit space or is there a museum inside?

No. The Center is located in a brick house on Wilson Street with offices, a conference room and a student resource lounge.  We do not have an exhibit space or American Indian artifacts on display at the Center.

How many American Indians reside in North Carolina?

There were 122,110 American Indians located in the state of North Carolina when the 2010 US Census was conducted.  North Carolina is home to the largest population of American Indians east of the Mississippi River.

How many state and federally recognized tribes are located in the state of North Carolina?

There are eight (8) state-recognized tribes located in North Carolina: the Coharie, the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians, the Haliwa-Saponi, the Lumbee Tribe of North Carolina, the Meherrin, the Sappony, the Occaneechi Band of the Saponi Nation and the Waccamaw Siouan. The Eastern Band of Cherokee is fully recognized by the federal government. The Lumbee tribe has partial federal recognition as a result of the Lumbee Act of 1956. Contact information for tribes in North Carolina.

How can I trace my Indian ancestry or document my heritage/genealogy?

The Center does not provide genealogical research services.  The State Library of North Carolina offers several free workshops and information on genealogical research using the North Carolina state archives.  If you are trying to research information about your genealogy outside of North Carolina contact your state archives office.

How does a tribe get state recognition?

Contact the North Carolina Commission of Indian Affairs by calling 919-807-4440 to request a copy of the state recognition procedures.

How does a tribe get federal recognition?

Contact the Bureau of Indian Affairs in Washington, DC to request a copy of the federal recognition criteria.

How can I obtain a tribal enrollment card?

Contact the specific tribe of your origin and ask what their procedures are for obtaining a tribal enrollment card. The tribe will require individuals seeking a tribal enrollment card to provide documentation of their family genealogy, which describes how one is connected to the tribe by blood or marriage. The North Carolina Commission of Indian Affairs does not issue tribal enrollment cards.

What services am I eligible to receive as a result of being enrolled in a state or federally recognized tribe?

The eligibility requirement for tribal programs and services differ from tribe to tribe. However, to be eligible you must have a tribal enrollment card. If you have a tribal enrollment card, then you must meet the eligibility requirement required by each program. Generally, the eligibility requirement for most programs is based on family income. You must contact specific tribes to obtain information on the eligibility requirement for each tribal program.